Monday 11 April 2016

The Saddest Space Marine

I've a mega-lame post about my infatuation with all things Space Marine coming up, but until then please take a moment to feel a little sympathy for the Lamenters Captain. As you may know, the Lamenters are the unluckiest of all the Astartes chapters and have a potentially awkward paint-scheme to boot. I've had this wonderful 1991 Gamesday Jes Goodwin sculpt in my bits box for well over five years and decided that he deserved a paint job that was a little bit different to anything I'd attempted before. What with the Lamenters being descendants of the Blood Angels, I decided to give it a go.


The very literal definition of Noble-Bright
Skulls on everything.

I've sworn I'd never paint anything yellow again several times, but I actually really enjoyed working with the colour with this model. I've found that using a mixture of neat paint thinned with glaze really intensifies the overall colour. The shoulder pad design was also more fun to work with than anticipated, and in hindsight, I should have painted the checkerboard much smaller. My only issue was making the sword scabbard not look like corn on the cob - something I'm not entirely sure I managed to successfully achieve. I've a few other models that I'd like to use to make a very small Lamenters strike force over the next few months to mop up a few odds and ends I've got gathering dust in various boxes  - I love the idea of them being some noble suicide squad!

6 comments:

  1. Looks really great, lamenters sure can use a good pat on the shoulder like this. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I think they deserve it! Let's see how far a positive mental attitude can get you in the 41st millennium,..

      Delete
  2. Corn on the cob! Ha! Gorgeous paint job as always. You've got me hankering to go retro for my next 40k project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really does! Cheers - you totally should! Any ideas yet?

      Delete
    2. I did look at remaking the exact army from White Dwarf 141 (now that we have access to new thudd guns, old Rhinos, different armour marks and everything), but I've already got a blood angel army that's sat in a carry case... then again, I do like painting red... (although I'd have to figure out how to get the old blood angel orange look that the terminator models had!)

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete